Get your muscle fibers working again as soon as possible; as indicated by your healthcare professional. After traumatic injury or surgery, it’s important your muscles regain strength and tone to allow for faster recovery. Neuromuscular Electrotherapy Stimulation (NMES) is a specific gentle and effective type of electrical stimulation whose benefits are two-fold: first, pain control and second, muscle stimulation, which cause muscle fibers to strengthen by contraction.
Many different conditions diagnosed and subsequently treated by your family physician, chiropractor, orthopedic and neurological medical specialties may be improved by the incorporation of a NMES unit. This medical device can be used shortly after a surgery to help rehabilitate the injured area, depending on your healthcare provider’s recommendations.
Adding NMES to your treatment plan could not be easier. Speak to your Physician or other healthcare provider about incorporating a NMES device as an integral part of your rehabilitation treatment plan.
Simply stated, NMES uses electricity to stimulate the corresponding nerves of the targeted muscle fibers causing contraction thus maintaining essential muscle tone. Regaining and maintaining good muscle tone is paramount in avoiding and recouping from disuse muscle atrophy; a condition often associated with debilitating musculoskeletal disruption (due to prolonged severe inactivity, as a result of trauma or postsurgical).
- Improved muscle mass/tone
- Decreased incident of disuse atrophy from muscle inactivity
- Muscle Re-education
- Decreased amount of painful muscle spasms
- Increased range of motion
- Increased localized blood flow and reduction of inflammation
- Aids in the prevention of dangerous, postsurgical deep venous blood clots
Common applications of NMES include:
- Orthopedic/neurologic postsurgical rehabilitation
- Post-trauma injury rehabilitation